1.03.2009

Post Wedding Partem?

So. I'm riding home with one of my favorite married couples, a pair who I've seen as my uncle & aunt for quite sometime. And of course the big question comes up: "niki, when are you going to get married?" By now, of course, I'm a pro at deflecting questions such as these, and I respond with an, "I don't know! Find me someone!"

It's safe to say that since I am
a)only 19 going on 20
b) about to be unemployed and
c) living with my parents
I am not supposed to be thinking about marriage, but the thought has crossed my mind.
why are they asking me these questions? I ask them. "Well, we were just wondering how young people these days get together."
(get together? hmmm... how ELSE are they supposed to get together...)

"Well, I'd want him to ask me out of course! The reason I haven't gone out with anyone on any type of date is because no one's asked!" Very true indeed.

So, I got to thinking, is this really how things are? The following is a couple of scenarios I'd find acceptable starts of a relationship.

♥♥I'd really like all of your input, since I have no experience in this area whatsoever.♥♥

SCENARIO 1: GUY is interested in GIRL, but does not know her that well. GUY asks to take GIRL on casual date. GIRL agrees. GIRL & GUY go on casual date. GUY & GIRL now know each other "better". GUY can either decide to pursue GIRL in a more serious manner by telling her his intentions, or leave their relationship at the one casual date.


SCENARIO 2: GUY is interested in GIRL. GUY and GIRL are already good acquaintances. GUY tells GIRL his interest in her & his intentions [which hopefully includes dating/marriage]. GIRL consents.


I'm sure I'm missing some minor details you know, like praying, counseling, asking fathers for their permission etc. But I think you pretty much get the general idea right?

5 comments:

Savannah Lauren said...

I like the second scenario, haha.

Anonymous said...

Read about courtship on the website: girltalk.blogs.com. I especially thought the Q and A section on the Feb. 8, 2006 post on guy/girl relationships was interesting. The first point was about a woman not dropping hints on a guy who she is interested in. It
stated, "God created us as women to be responsive to men's leadership" based on verses Gen 2:18-23 and Ephesians 5:22-23. The post continues to say we must resist the temptation of letting our desires and emotions dictate our direction instead of God's Word. In other words, this is to women: Wait on God's leading.

Anonymous said...

John Ensor, in his book, "Doing Things Right in the Matters of the Heart" explains how this society distorts biblical manhood and womanhood. One way society does this is by saying it's allright for women to go after the guys which discourages men to be strong leaders and to fulfill other roles meant for the man that are designed by and pleasing to God. I read a review which said this book is not only for singles, but for married couples because it touches the topic of biblical manhood/womanhood. The book seems to show the importance of discussing biblical manhood/womanhood when it comes to talking about "dating" issues.

dominica a.k.a. niki said...

From what I've gathered this past week, SCENARIO 1 should be revised to group dating. Group dating is more casual, but planned, whereas a one on one date implies something more serious, and insinuates a genuine commitment. Thanks for all of your great responses! I'd love to hear from you all again... ha ha savannah ;) you would like that scenario wouldn't you? ♥

Anonymous said...

Here's another article by Scott Croft ("What Does a Biblical Relationship Look Like?") that you can check out about this topic. It's an article that talks about the difference between biblical relationships versus "wordly" or "modern" relationships. It gives valid points about guys getting acquainted with women in group settings rather than in settings in which they are alone. The article states, that men are to "follow the admonition in 1 Timothy 5:1-2" to "treat all women to whom he is not married as sisters, with absolute purity."
Check it out: http://www.boundless.org/2005/articles/a00011196.cfm